Thursday, January 14, 2010

Culture shock, jet lag, and information overload!!!

First full day of London--phew!! It has been exhausting. I guess it didn't help that two o clock this morning I woke up--wide awake. Apparently, my body thought it was seven in the morning and time to wake up. Um, no. And as lovely as the flats are, our shower is an adventure all its own. When the water heater kicks on, it is as though a three-year-old is playing drummer with pots and pans. The three-year-old has surprisingly good tempo, though I have yet to discover what song he is playing. It doesn't help my over active imagination that the drumming originates in a closet that has been firmly locked though no lock is evident...hmm.

Anyways, today was orientation--information overload!! It was over two hours of information and I actually stayed awake because I needed to know ALL of it. The internship orientation was next and more of the same (but new info). Apparently, my internship will be with Retail Jewellers. It is a upscale trade magazine located near the London Zoo. Fun! My roommates and I are planning to go on an internship site scavenger hunt this weekend and see the sights along the way. I think this a good way to discover London. For example, Stephanie (roommate) and I found the Museum of Natural History by just wandering, and it is in a BEAUTIFUL building. Definitely on the list of things to do. I really need to upload some pictures soon.

Oh, and I have conquered the Underground. I am by no means an expert yet, but I did get where I needed to and I am here safely in my flat again. I think that is mission accomplished. One of the stations in particular reminded me of the opening scene of Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (probably, because it is set as they are waiting for a tube or train in London).

We had tea this evening in a very posh hotel as a proper welcome to the land of Brits. Mmm, a proper cup of tea is delicious! I think I could get used to living in this town if only I could afford it. Everything is so expensive, but I am doing well so far to live frugally. We'll see how long that lasts...oh, the three-year-old just started its cadence again. Someone must be in the shower.

Pictures will come soon, promise.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for you to have your first day with your internship! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far!

    ReplyDelete